Feeding/laying eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewHopePoultry, May 20, 2007.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My hen hatched out, 13 babies and has been a great mom to them, I sold 8 the other day.
    I bought some baby ducks from a feed store, and bought 40 pounds of Gamebird starter for them along with 40 pounds of chick starter. Well the ducks died, they all are something wrong with their legs(they were pekins)

I know you can't feed chick starter to ducks,but I was wondering if I could mix the 2 feeds for my chicks, other wise the game bird starter will go to waste.

Also, how long before the hen will lay eggs again? She is my first broody hen, but unless I find a rooster for her, she will just be laying eating eggs.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Yes, the chicks should be fed the chick starter. If it is not medicated, you could mix the gamebird starter 50/50 with the chick starter. If the chick starter is medicated, don't mix it together or it will dilute the medication.

When the hen starts laying again depends on her. Some start up a few weeks after the babies are hatched. Others may not lay again until the babies are 6-10 weeks old.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Thanks for the info.

The babies are 3 weeks old I think. I got the hen after she already had them, so Im not sure how old they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by