1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Laying Hens Fruit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GrandmaCluck, Aug 27, 2009.

1. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I have read that you should not feed laying hens fruit - as it could stop their egg production and it may take up to 6 months to get them laying again. I noticed that watermelon is on the treat list. But No citrus. Is citrus the culprit or is it all fruit?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    I give hens fruit and it never makes them stop laying. I don't know why people say that fruit is bad for hens! Maybe the big breeds don't mind treats as much as the little ones do. Puzzling.

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I think that is just an old wives tale. I feed all kinds of fruit to my birds and it never affected laying. My girls love fruit. [​IMG]

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    There's a lot of protein in an egg.

There is very little protein in most fruit.

Eggs can only be produced when the nutrients in their diet exceeds what is necessary for the maintenance of their bodies.

As an example: If they are filling up on watermelon (and they can [​IMG]), there won't be much surplus protein for eggs.

If they fill up on watermelon every day (I suspect they might want to [​IMG]), that might shut down egg production until they can get back on a better balanced diet.

Steve

5. Rooster1235597

Rooster1235597 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    digitS' :

There's a lot of protein in an egg.

There is very little protein in most fruit.

Eggs can only be produced when the nutrients in their diet exceeds what is necessary for the maintenance of their bodies.

As an example: If they are filling up on watermelon (and they can [​IMG]), there won't be much surplus protein for eggs.

If they fill up on watermelon every day (I suspect they might want to [​IMG]), that might shut down egg production until they can get back on a better balanced diet.

Steve

wats good to feed them as protein​

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    In poultry feed, the primary protein sources are oilseed and animal protein meals.

Soybean meal, from which oil has been extracted, must be the most common oilseed used. Animal protein sources are meat, fish, blood, and feather meals.

All this information (an a whole lot more) can be found in "Nutrient Requirements of Poultry: Ninth Revised Edition, 1994" from your friendly, National Academy of Sciences.

Steve

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:All my garden surplus/spoiled gets tossed over the fence to the chickens, sometimes that can be quite a lot---5 to 6 5gal buckets. They have a large run, I have not seen fruit/garden surplus harming the egg production. I have seen stress like predation or overly hot days slow them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by