Feeding laying hens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rissa, May 10, 2011.

1. Rissa

Rissa New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Does anyone else find that feeding their laying hens leftovers will slow egg production?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I don't think it will if you still feed them their normal feed. Mine get many leftover treats and still lay great.
    Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I haven't found that to be true.

We don't give leftovers every day though. Maybe every 2-3 days.

If the protein content of the total feed drops too much, maybe that could be the cause of your problem. For example, if you give huge amounts of spaghetti- then the next day huge amounts of rice-and a loaf of bread on the third day, it could make the protein level go down enough that they don't lay as well theoretically.

Wheat I have found has around 12-14% protein (white is 12 and red is 14). Layer feed is 16%.

Generally the higher the protein content the larger your eggs will be, according to a fellow BYC'er in commercial egg production.

4. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Acctually I have found the exact oppisite to be true. Given the advice by my long time friend who is veterinarian, the laying formula's leave out some vital minerals and supplements that help the hens immune system fight disease. The best way to provide this is providing green plants and other root-type veggies (potatoes, carrots, ect). Feeding them table scraps is fine as long as you leave out any over-used or large amounts of grease and oil.

If you give it some thought, it makes perfect sense. When free ranging they eat grass and scratch at the ground and eat roots from plant-life. Two things confined chickens usually go without. So your problem may be that they are not WANTING to lay.

Find helpful information that will help them lay in my thread at this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501018

Hope it helps,

Timothy in KY

5. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    My "gru" told me, that if they are not laying there could be two issues:
    1. They need more space
    2. They need more freedom, stress free freedom

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I find that my hens do tend to not lay well the next day after they have had alot of treat food, but they do not get treats everyday so they tend to fill up on them and not eat alot of feed that day.I try to give treats in small amounts right after I have filled the feeder and they have eaten feed, but our neighbors kid tends to feed them the all you can eat buffet when he is over.LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by