Feeding leaves to the chickens....Passion flower leaves!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken7777, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hello everyone, well I have 13 chickens and when I have them foraging around my yard they seem to love eating some leaves from the passion flower vine that I have. I just wanted to ask if these are okay for my chickens to eat....thank God nothing happened to them after they ate the leaves because if theyre very poisounous I guess they would be dead by now.....i just want to know if that they eat too much if its toxic to them.

Also what vegetables might be toxic for them to eat or are poisonous to chickens...

I appreciate the help. thank you!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    You can look up on the internet "toxins for poultry" and it will give you the list

3. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Just went on PoultryHelp.com and listed in the list of plants toxic to poultry is, Medicago sativa L. -- (Alfalfa). Also listed are several other plants that you would think would be okay for chickens.

Here's the link: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxic2.html

Penny
    for your thoughts.

4. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

That toxin list has nightshades on it? I thought chickens could eat tomato plants, they are a member of the nightshade family, so are potatoes and eggplants, are those really ok for them?

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    they can have the fruit from the night shade family like tomatoes but not the leaves . Potatoes they can have cooked but not the foliage. That is what I understand. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by