Feeding lots of berries

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AkChris, Jul 31, 2014.

1. AkChris

AkChris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    SE Alaska
    Is there any reason not to feed the chickens lots of berries? Would too much fruit cause digestion issues? runny poop? I have an abundance of wild blueberries and my chickens love them. They've eaten all the berries off the 5-6 bushes that are in the run area and I've been letting them free range a bit and they go straight for the berry bushes around the property. Should I limit their time out or just let them gorge themselves on the berries?

I have a pretty much unlimited supply of berries (blueberries, red huckleberries, salmon berries, currants) in the forests surrounding me...one of the great benefits of life in SE Alaska. I always pick quite a bit to freeze for the people to eat and seeing how much the chickens love them I'm thinking I'll try to harvest even more and have lots for them to eat throughout the year. There are some species, areas, and times of the year that the berries get badly infested with worms...pretty much a worm in every berry. Generally I avoid picking those but berries with a side of worms sounds perfect for the chickens.

Does any see any problems with this plan?

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I wish we had berries like that… You always have to keep an eye out for your birds, but short of them becoming full of nothing but the 'runs' I would let them choose, for the most part, what they like during free range. Really you have not much of a choice, lock them in, or let them feast on berry. I understand your thoughts here, but I think I would let them free range.

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by