1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding maggots from old fruit/veggie scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by marshmallowpeeps, Mar 23, 2009.

1. marshmallowpeeps

marshmallowpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi,
    I was wondering if, when the weather got warmer and fruitflies are everwhere, would it be ok to let some fruitflies take over fruit or veggie peels, etc, and then when they have maggots, feed the whole thing to the chickens? Or would the food be bad for them and I should just give them the maggots, or what? [​IMG]
    I have read about the "growing maggots on dead animals" plan, and black soldier flies maggots, but since I always have this problem with fruitflies anyway, I just thought I'd ask. THANKS!! [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I think that fruit fly maggots would be very tiny. Probably best to feed the scraps to the chickens instead of flies.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    the chickens could eat the maggots, no problem.. but to purosely raise them?? what's t gain? all the nutrition in the maggots will have been obtained from the fruit.. nothing gained..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by