FEEDING MASA HARINA

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marymac, Jul 15, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I'M NEWBIE HERE;

I have a 5lb. bag of this masa harina or corn flour I am not going to use. I was gona throw it away,. would it be ok to feed my guinea chicks with , or better to just pitch it? Thanks marymac

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm... That's a good question! When in doubt, I never do it. I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not certain what the answer would be. Like I said, when in doubt...

[​IMG] !!!

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Use it to bake something like birdie bread or birdie muffins. Add in shredded or frozen veggies. Cut it into cubes/blocks and freeze until they are a little older and feed as a treat.

4. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:That sounds like a great idea, Linda!

Welcome to the forum, marymac! Hope you enjoy hanging around us chicken addicts! [​IMG]

5. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    thanks for the suggestions. i think i will just wait and bake something for them when they are a bit bigger. I feel I have so much to learn and I can't stop reading about chicks. There is so much info on the internet. Mostly I keep coming here, thats why I subscribed. I like it here.

marymac

6. TheMarshain

TheMarshain New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    I was in the same dilemma today. I'd made tamales for Christmas eve and still have over half a bag left. I found a recipe for polenta . . . Mix 1 c. cold water with one cup masa harina (corn flour) and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then add 2 3/4 c boiling water and whisk the lumps out.

Fearing the worst case scenario, I then added some frozen kale and frozen raspberries, along with some olive oil and minced garlic. Waiting for it to solidify. I could wait until tomorrow and fry it up, but it's super cold out there today and I want to get this into the chickens asap.

The original recipe for the fried polenta is found at http://myjournalkohn.blogspot.com/2012/07/fried-polenta-for-breakfast.html

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can just save the masa and use it to thicken chili. That's really good, adds a corn flavor! I also add it to savory type muffins in place of about 1/3 of the flour, makes the muffins a little heartier.

Or, you can just feed it to the birds. It's just ground corn. Baking it into something probably helps them not waste so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by