Feeding mature ducks?

ducksforme

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2017
Hey duck friends! Two questions for everyone....
Our 2 Welshies are a year and a half old. They are on organic Purina starter/grower (18% protein) chicken feed crumbles and Sadie gets the same brand layer mixed in (1/2 & 1/2). Seems I need to switch to a maintenance flock raiser. Is this correct? (Also, any suggestions with the waste of food in their water dish/bucket? Always a sludgy mess at the bottom.)
Not related to feed but does anyone have suggestions for a small pond (150-200 gal) pump and filter for duck pond? Building a barn and would love not to have a kiddie pool to clean everyday.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

Not sure about the pump question, but I have a lovely link on required nutrition for ducks in different stages of their lives. Is Sadie laying? that'll have some effect on what people recommend, unless you're supplementing oyster shells or calcium pills on the side?

As for the sludge--if there's a lot, I let it settle overnight, then pour off the water and dump the soggy leftover duck feed on top of the chicken feed next morning. They finish it off and clean everything up well (good chickens). Perhaps you could do the same and give it back to the ducks the next morning? Or, if they leave too much waste and you're worried about bacteria, just add it to a compost heap?

I replied on the topic thread, but Layena is fine if they're laying... otherwise Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side...

How close together are their food and water dishes? I always separate mine and find that helps a LOT with the waste they dump in thier water...

Last edited:
Not sure about the pump question, but I have a lovely link on required nutrition for ducks in different stages of their lives. Is Sadie laying? that'll have some effect on what people recommend, unless you're supplementing oyster shells or calcium pills on the side?

As for the sludge--if there's a lot, I let it settle overnight, then pour off the water and dump the soggy leftover duck feed on top of the chicken feed next morning. They finish it off and clean everything up well (good chickens). Perhaps you could do the same and give it back to the ducks the next morning? Or, if they leave too much waste and you're worried about bacteria, just add it to a compost heap?
Thanks! Yes she is laying and has been since Feb 2017 (with no break yet). She also has oyster shells. I poor their water out everyday and refill, dumping out the nasty food sludge on the bottom. Is flock raiser considered maintenance?

Last edited:
I replied on the topic thread, but Layena is fine if they're laying... otherwise Lurina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side...

How close together are their food and water dishes? I always separate mine and find that helps a LOT with the waste they dump in thier water...
Thank you! Yes, she is laying (still). She has been since Feb 2017 (no off season for her apparently). I will try to seperate the food and water bowls and see it that helps. Just want to make sure they are getting appropriate nutrients!

Thank you! Yes, she is laying (still). She has been since Feb 2017 (no off season for her apparently). I will try to seperate the food and water bowls and see it that helps. Just want to make sure they are getting appropriate nutrients!

Good deal! Purina/Nutrena brands for adult ducks is fine... :)

I have used the expensive stuff ... and the cheap stuff....not much diffrence in health or happiness... still giving fresh produce every day and a bath on hot days... corn just makes them pleasingly plump.

Back
Top Bottom