1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Mealworms/Superworms/Butterworms/Waxworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GarretTrezona, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GarretTrezona

GarretTrezona Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Hey everyone, im sure this question has been asked a million times. I have read on here that it is okay to feed your chickens mealworms. What about other types of worms like Wax worms, butter worms, super worms, Horned worms?

I am a reptile guy and I have supply to many different types of worms. So i was wondering if I can only feed mealworms or if there are other worms that I can also offer as treats.

2. locoguru

locoguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    I have fed mine mealworms, superworms and crickets.

3. GarretTrezona

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chickens will very happily eat pretty much any bug, they should be excellent treats, and fed in moderation they should not be a problem ... they tend to be really high in protein though so if you feed a lot of them you might need to watch that. btw, mine absolutely love superworms, though I think watching them chase crickets is the most fun for us to watch.

5. GarretTrezona

Aug 7, 2013

Awesome can't wait to pick up some worms today for them to try out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by