Feeding Meat birds medicated feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 21, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have a question. I'm planning on raising a bunch of meat birds come spring, but I'm already gearing up for it. I built a chicken tractor and everything. The main question I have had an impossible time finding unmedicated feed around here. I don't have a problem feeding it to my layers, because they get off it well before they start laying, but with meat birds, you process them so early, what do you do about the feed?

You would think an area like this in Colorado that is so organic minded that unmedicated food would be easy to come by, but it's not. What are your feeding suggestions?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've never used medicated feed on any of my birds. And I have lost many birds for going that route. But, to me, they were the weak ones which would have died in nature anyhow. So I'm not bothered by it. It makes for a stronger flock for my hens.

But since you are asking about meat birds, where breeding and longevity isn't as important, I have lost a lot to coccidiossis. If it's prevelant in your area, then consider it if you don't want birds to die. But if you are in an area where cocciddiosis is rare (which my guess is yes having cold winters) you can do without out. If you elect to go medicated, pay close attention to the withdrawal period. Most broiler/fryer feed is starter/finisher, so you use the same feed for their entire life. You will have to find some non-medicated stuff to finish them.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, been out shopping around and found non-medicated grower food. Whew.

My little girls got cocci the day after I brought them home. I got them at 7 weeks old and since it was less than 24 hours I don't think they got it from anything here. Etiher it was stress of the move or change of feed or something. Anyway. I now probably have a 5 year supply of the medication you mix in the water. Would I be better off, just treating it if it comes up or going with medicated food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by