1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Meat vs Egg

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Troll, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Troll

Troll Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Buna, Tx
    I am setting 24 eggs to hatch Tuesdah, and have decided that the cockerels are going to be raised for meat (unless i get a stand out roo-then ill sell).
    Of course, pullets go back into my flock. They will be brooded indoors until they're feathered. My question is-at what point if any do i begin feeding them differently?

My current flock recieved chick starter for about 8 weeks (we had some lagging behind), then starter/grower for about 4 weeks, grower/finisher for 4 weeks-then layer pellets after 18 weeks.

Since im going to have dual purpose breeds its safe to say my roosters will still be around at week 18 but do i just need to keep them on the finisher, or even the grower?

I also ferment my feed and add homemade ACV to the water (what a difference it makes!).i started the FF after my last chicks were outside-should i do thr same with the meat birds?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What breeds are you using?

3. Troll

Troll Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Buna, Tx
    My roosters are a RIR, and two EEs (one loojs like a Game roo and the other looks lije a Brahma) im hatching eggs from my buff orps, my biggest Barred rocks, new hampshires, redcomets, black aussies, RIR, and one wyandotte. The roosters are together so i cant be picky about them but im only hatching the eggs from my largest hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by