Feeding meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaj121159, Nov 28, 2010.

1. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    How do you feed your meaties? I'm talking about the feeding process, not the feed and percentage etc. Do you go 12 on, 12 off? Maybe 24/7? or put out a certain amount once or twice a day and when it's gone, it's gone.

I have done more of the latter. With my last batch of 50, I was feeding twenty pounds a day at 5+ weeks. I would put out 12 lbs. in the morning and 8 after work. No snacks or anything in between. The 12 lbs. was always gone when I got home from work, and the 8 gone in th e morning. I butchered at 8 weeks with a 4.25 lb. average dressed weight.

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I do a mix of all the above [​IMG]

I put out the feeder in the morning (around 9, I work late nights). Occasionally throughout the day I make sure there is feed available. They also get a double handful of scratch and have had access to grass (but that is all eaten now). When I leave for work I put the feeder at the edge of their shelter so they can eat after dark and they eat until it is gone - no idea when they empty it. At 130am when I get home I give them a 5 minute gorge-fest, then toss some oats or scratch in the shelter... maybe a handful (21 5wk old meats).
    I also try to give them something different each day - sliced grapes, bits of apple, a mash of their crumbles in warm water, oatmeal and old plants pulled from the garden. I am hoping to fix a "Clampett" tractor tomorrow so they can get back to having grass etc available to them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by