1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding medicated feed to meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Marc33, May 25, 2007.

1. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Hello there everyone! We have our entire flock of heavy breed birds on chick starter medicated chick feed. It's about time to start processing the meat birds - is there a problem with them having eaten this feed? Should we take them off of it for a time before processing and eating the meat?

Thanks for you help!

2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I believe it is two weeks... but you need to read the package. It may be more or less.

Arklady

3. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks Arklady -

I just looked on the bag and it says "feed 1 day old to finish" - it's medicated for coccidiosis, so I guess the company feels it's not a concern in meat birds?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If there isn't a withdrawal period listed on the tag, get the name of the "active ingredient" and google it. All the commerical feeds seem to use a different drug, but I want to say it's around 5 days for most the withdrawal times.

I never use medicated feeds on broilers, since it's a huge marketing advantage to say "no medicated feeds were used". However, I have certainly lost cluckers to coccidiosis (we had a wet, cold spring). I just have to work out an expected mortality in my cost analysis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by