feeding medicated feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fldeb, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Fldeb

Fldeb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    My chicks are 13 weeks old. I decided to switch from Dumor because they was always so much powder in the bottom of the bag. I went to a local feed store and got their starter/grower when I got home I realized that it is medicated. The Dumor was not. Can I feed this to my chicks or should I get the Dumor grower feed? Thanks for the help!!

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've always fed Layena Starter for my chicks and they have done well. I'm not sure what changing the feed will do. In about 5-7 weeks they should be ready to transition on to a layer formula.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they can eat it up within a month, you'll be fine. I don't personally like to feed medicated at point of lay.

As for the "dust" at the bottom of bags, just pour just a little water into it and stir in a bucket. With just a little moisture, it returns to being crumbles!!! Chickens love moist food too!

4. Fldeb

Fldeb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the help!! I have 6 RIRs and 6 blacksex links so I am pretty sure it will be gone in 4 weeks then I will switch to a layer feed.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Fred's Hens :

If they can eat it up within a month, you'll be fine. I don't personally like to feed medicated at point of lay.

As for the "dust" at the bottom of bags, just pour just a little water into it and stir in a bucket. With just a little moisture, it returns to being crumbles!!! Chickens love moist food too!

Good to know! I have some powder from the bottom of the last bag and it's currently being ignored in the feeder while they eat the new crumbles.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by