1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding mixed age birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mpgo4th, Mar 31, 2015.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm always searching for a product to feed the whole flock. Currently I'm feeding starter/grower to everyone of all ages and I have a feeder full of oyster shell for the layers. I have chicks inside that get this too. Today I found a feed at southern states called poultry maintainer. Its pelleted feed that says for all species of birds of adult age. Once big enough to eat pellets, would this be a good choice as an all flock feed with oyster shell on the side? I have many roosters and some older birds as well as about 16 layers so I don't like force feeding high calcium layer to the ones that don't need it. As a plus if they will do well on this product it really cheap. $10.50 for a 50lbs bag.
    [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You made the right move here. I also just stocked up on ALL FLOCK . It is a general purpose feed that covers all your needs. I totally agree with you on the high calcium in layer feed that is not good for non laying chickens. I cant really make out the percentage on that label, but calcium is about 1.4 % or so and protein at 14 % ... You should have no issues. You are doing the right thing offering calcium on the side as needed. Chickens pick up what they need. Starter feed is similar in ingredient content . with some variation in protein percentage. It comes in crumbles rather than pellets. Easier for small chicks, but OK for all .
    WISHING YOU BEST[​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would choose a bit higher percentage protein, but that's my preference. You could always add a bit of extra protein if you wanted to. I wish I could find feed at that price.

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You have to consider your location for the added cost of freight. Most everything seem more expensive in the northeast. I paid $12 for ALL FLOCK on Saturday. 50 pounds.

5. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    The protein is 15% and the cal is 1.5%

6. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    That is as cheap as I have found. Tractor supply sells Dumore laying crumble for 14 dollars and layina is 16.99

7. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I do something similar - feeding a non-layer feed (grower at the moment) to our mixed flock with oyster shell on the side. Works very well.

The only thing I would add is that the feed you've chosen is on the low end of protein. It should be fine if you feed them nothing else. But if you feed them much kitchen scraps (bread, lettuce, veggies, fruit, pasta, etc.) or scratch grains all those items are very low in protein and your birds may not get enough protein. If they free range and/or you feed them extra protein (meat, meat scraps, lots of mealworms, etc.), you're birds will be better nourished. If you only feed low protein kitchen scraps once a week, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you feed them lots of them everyday, you might want to supplement protein.

8. mpgo4th

Apr 8, 2013
    Thank you for the info. Mine get a scratch treat a few days a week. About two cups for 16 birds. Its gone in 5 minutes.

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I was feeding mine a grower with oyster shell on the side, but one chicken consistently would lay soft eggs (new layer) I never saw her in the oyster shell like the others, I had to mix layer feed in with their regular feed to see if having calcium in the feed would help, it did, she has since layed 3 eggs with hard shells. I mixed it in because the highest layer feed in a crumble I could find was only 16 percent protein and I wanted higher. I don't have any roosters, and just one non laying hen (she hasn't started back up laying from the winter) is this ok for them to be having with her not laying yet? I mix it half and half, grower/layer

10. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Do it and don't worry about it. I was feeding my chickens all layer feed and scratch and table scraps and free range. Not all were laying. One particular one was not laying for about 5 years and when she went to the other side she was 13. Too many peeps get too involved in science and forget reality. All my chickens live long lives unless cut short by predators. My oldest currently is 9. If interested , I have stories that go back 50 years . We didn't have layer feed or 19% protein. We did all right. Now I know the attacks are coming[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by