Feeding mixed age flock.....

RedShuffler

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2016
I know this is covered somewhere and I'm probably just not searching right, but I need some suggestions on feeding a mixed age flock. I can't keep them all separated so I have to find something that works for all ages. I've been feeding Purina Layena crumbles to the adults, Purina Medicated Starter to the little ones that are now five weeks old. I now have another hen setting and have her isolated in her own area and feeding Purina Medicated Starter, she and chicks (when they hatch) will get that until they are ready to integrate.

At this point would it be best to feed Purina Flock Raiser to my mixed age flock? I always have oyster shell available so they can self regulate. I've read that flock raiser is not the best choice for adult birds and thought maybe a 1/2 Layena Crumble and 1/2 Flock Raiser Crumble mix might work for everyone until the little ones were ready to go to straight layer feed.

The little ones are going to have to make it on Layena a day or two until I can get things lined out and I think they'll be okay for a a short period like that.

Sorry to re-hash what I know is probably already covered somewhere, but I appreciate all suggestions.

Look for Starter - Grower, Start & Grow, Starter or Flock Raiser, All Flock crumbles. 18 to 20% Protein.
The Starter feeds look for non-medicated, after the chicks are grown.
Amprollium won't harm the adults while the chicks are growing, and the eggs are safe to eat.
Provide Oyster Shells in a separate container for the hens.
You can feed this all year round to all. GC

I was told by the man at the feed store that I really shouldn't be feeding my hens mixed flock feed because the protein isn't the correct level for their age - does anyone know if that is correct? I've read on here and in other places that it IS okay to feed the whole flock (I have chickens and ducks) the mixed flock feed and to just supplement in calcium for the laying hens. My hens have began laying steadily one egg a day and their shells are nice and hard. They have been on grower/finisher with oyster shells until now (the bag just ran out). I did go ahead and buy the bag of mixed flock though the man suggested against it and will continue to offer oyster shells. Was this the right choice? It is hard to keep the chickens out of the ducks feed, so that is why I decided to go with the mixed flock feed. What are people's thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I was told by the man at the feed store that I really shouldn't be feeding my hens mixed flock feed because the protein is too high - does anyone know if that is correct? I've read on here and in other places that it IS okay to feed the whole flock (I have chickens and ducks) the mixed flock feed and to just supplement in calcium for the laying hens

I am feeding my 27 months old Golden Comets a Non-Medicated Start & Grow feed. Why?
My Golden Comets feather picked when I changed to a 16% Protein layers feed last summer.
I switched back to a 18% Protein layers feed and within a month they stopped.
I stopped using a higher Protein layers feed, because I can't find it fresh, as in made within a month or so. The last bag I bought went bad before it was used up.
I can find a Flock Raiser/All-Flock feed fresh, but only in a 50# bag.
I can get a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower fresh in a 50# bag.
But with my small flock, I want a smaller bag. I buy a Non-Medicated Start & Grow in a 25# bag fresh.
I have been feeding it since Memorial day with Oyster Shells in a separate container. I have yet to get a soft shell or thin shelled egg.
I recommend a 18 to 20% Protein feed for a backyard flock. GC

I feed Flock Raiser to everyone, with separate oyster shell. It's available fresh (within four weeks of the mill date) at my local TSC, so it's a very good choice for me.
Layer feed doesn't work for my young birds, roosters, or molting and non-laying hens.
Find something that's fresh where you shop, by mill date, and I'd recommend either a starter-grower, or an all- flock, 18% to 20% protein, with separate oyster shell. It should work for every bird in your flock!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom