Feeding more greens maybe ?

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
Trying to figure out why I have 8 month old pullets that are NOT laying yet .

Could feeding more greens help with better egg production ?
They eat plenty of laying pellets and have treats and plenty of fresh water DAILY . ANY HINTS FROM THE PRO'S ?

I have RIR'S , buff orpingtons ( that areonly 3 months old ) they are excluded , black austrolorps , barred rocks , EE'S , nad MAYBE 6 out of close to 100 are laying . I raised majority this flock from a week old and got them back in April . DO THE MATH . they are close to 8 months old .

MOST i have ever picked was 6 eggs ( one day ) , and I mean it happened 1 day . usually 4 or 5 eggs , and this is not happening because of fall/winter months or lack of daytime hours ... this has been happening ALL summer .

That's a lot of chickens! Most chickens would be laying by that age. You must be getting so frustrated, waiting!

Greens are really good for chickens and they will be healthier with them, than without. I don't think they will make much of a difference in whether or not a chicken is laying. I think they would increase the health of the chicks they produce, though.

Back to egg production! This is what I would look at.

1. Are your chickens free range or confined to a run? A lot of people think their chickens are not laying, but the actual problem is that their chickens aren't laying in the coop. If they're not confined, they may have one or more secret nests tucked away on your property.

2. Look at their diet. Are they getting a balanced diet, with enough protein? Chicken feed should be balanced and have enough protein in it. How much other food are you providing? If it's really just treats, it won't make much difference. If it's a lot of food/calories and it's mostly carbohydrates without protein, then they may not have been getting enough protein. That could delay their development and their laying.

2. If this is the second fall for any of your chickens, then they could be taking a rest from laying, due to molting or lighting. I mentioned this because of your reference to summer production not being good. I wouldn't have expected chickens that age to start laying until the fall, with the breeds you have.

3. They probably don't have any parasites, but that can sap a lot of blood out of chickens. You could always check some of them over, just to make sure.

Let us know if any of these things might be part of the problem. If not, maybe other people will have some ideas for you. Good luck with your detective work!

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

Are they free-ranging? Any chance that they may be laying outside the coop?

NOPE . I have 2 coops and 3 runs all attached and enclosed ...

We are not allowed to let them free range at all . CITY Ordiences SUCK ..
idunno.gif

But , we are allowed to have as many as we want
thumbsup.gif
as long as they are enclosed in a run or cages .​

I give large heavy amount of laying pellets and also give them cracked corn , rice , bread and table scraps . DH bought some kind of powdered feed from feedstore that he was told is supplying more protein . CAN NOT remember exactly what it is , BUT they love it .

How much light are they getting each day? I give mine about 12 hours of light between artificial and sunlight. Also, feed black oil sunflower seeds helps. That extra protein gives them a boost. Good luck.

Quote:
It took about 2 weeks of artificial light to get my girls going again so don't give up too soon.

I would also suggest putting them on an automatic timer so they come on in the wee hours of the morning and turn off at dusk so they aren't wandering around when the lights go out.

Last edited:
Well , I hope so . Hard to except having this size flock and only about 6 layers .... NOT like they were laying and stopped . Need something , " anything " to kick start them .

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appricated .

thumbsup.gif

Hi Liz,
Just a thought on adding greens to their diet...
I bought some kitty litter pans at Freds & grown some wheat for my baby chics before. It might be something your hens may enjoy.
Another thing they love is spanish moss. I don't know if you have any by your home,but I'm sure there is some close by,lol. I hang it in tree branches or just toss it on the ground.It doesn't last long.
Good luck, I hope they start laying soon.
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom