Feeding my adult OE Bantams

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jerryf, Dec 17, 2010.

1. jerryf

jerryf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2007
    Fergus Falls, MN
    I just got a fancy group of OE bantams, Brassy Backs and Brown Reds,
    I filled a small jar with a red holed base with meat bird crumbles....21% protein..so feed is available 24/7. In 12 hours they had scattered the crumbles all over the coop. Didn't tip over the jar, just from pecking at the crumbles What is the best feeder to use?
    Should I hand feed twice a day in a small crock bowl?
    Thanks
    Jerry

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Raise the feeder up on something, a concrete block, a brick, what-have-you. You want the basin of the feeder to be just about the height of the smallest birds back. Ideally you want them to have to reach up just a bit to get a bite. Same goes for their waterer.

Feeding in a bowl would be twice the mess, twice the waste, IMO.

I should mention that I don't have OEBs. Smallest I have is silkies, but a chicken is still a chicken; even if they so cute and tiny they look like they should be sitting on the mantle and made of porcelain. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use a reguar feeder, but set it inside a plastic plant saucer to catch what they bill out:

[​IMG]

Beautiful birds, by the way! Mine are mostly OEGB crossbreeds (mixed with Serama). I feed mine regular layer crumbles to be sure they get enough calcium and not too much protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by