Feeding my birds COYOTE meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hitnspit, Nov 18, 2014.

1. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    Ok so we have plenty of coyotes around here this time of the year. Looking to put them to good use if I were to kill them. I know animal protein is wonderful for the birds. Would coyote meat be the same.?

2. bad7887

bad7887 New Egg

May 1, 2012
    I had the same thought with the stray cats in my neck of the woods

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd imagine so. A crow will eat a dead coyote, and a chicken's system can't be that much different. We don't shoot coyotes, but do feed our birds meat scraps from hunting or processing farm animals. Never had any issues except being rushed when entering the coop [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Being rushed is OK, just don't pass out where they can get to you.

Coyote meat should work well for them.

5. CdnMatt

CdnMatt Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014
    Coyotes are like bears and raccoons.. Full of parasites. Which then will be transmitted to your chickens when they eat the raw meat.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've got to believe the birds have a built in method to deal with this. All carnivores and omnivores eat raw meat except humans. If this is true, then why aren't all the crows and buzzards dead of parasite overlaods?

7. CdnMatt

CdnMatt Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2014

It likely won't kill your birds. I mean if you plan to eat your birds later down the road that's something that you might not want to feed your chickens.

8. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014

The number of parasites that can transmit from mammal flesh (especially mammals that aren't prey animals) to bird flesh via the bird's digestive tract can probably be counted on one hand.

If your birds are free ranging, or out in large areas, they're already eating mice, snakes, lizards, frogs, and anything else they can catch. These birds are not herbivores.

9. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You must remember that to much protein can cause a kidney problems in chickens! And meat of Wilde animals is reach in proteins!

10. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I couldn't find nutrition data for coyote, but bear is about 30% protein by weight - which is about what gamebird food is. If you fed your chickens nothing but coyote, it'd be a problem, but as an occasional thing, it's not going to do anything worse than the vegetable scraps people love to feed (Kale is about 2-3% protein)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by