Feeding my chickens I'm new to this

Pics

S_Robnett

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
Hi I'm new to raising chickens and wanted to change them off of commercial foods because the cost is slowly killing me and with the advice from the store my poor chickens ended up with bumble foot. Anyway what I wanted to ask is will feeding my chickens corn, soybean meal, a little added lime for calcium , and some fodder meat their nutritional needs or do I need to add more to the mix. I have them enclosed on the ground with some pine shavings but not so much to where they cant reach the ground and they also have a kitty pool filled with de for added dust baths when they want. Any and all information would be so great to keep them all healthy and happy.

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

IMHO, the most economical and nutritional way to feed your flock is with good formulated food that meets their specific needs. How old are your chickens? How many do you have? What are you feeding them now and what is it costing you? Do you feed pellets or crumbles?

IMHO, the most economical and nutritional way to feed your flock is with good formulated food that meets their specific needs. How old are your chickens? How many do you have? What are you feeding them now and what is it costing you? Do you feed pellets or crumbles?

:goodpost:

I will add to that that DE is not proven to eliminate an infestation or even prevent one.
It is however a very fine powder that is extremely hard on chickens tiny lungs as well as human lungs.
It becomes airborne very easily and floats far. It is harmful to bees and other beneficial insects.

Trying to formulate a feed at home that is nutritionally complete is much more expensive than buying one already made.

What advice did the feed store give you that caused bumble foot?

They are three months old, I have been feeding them crumbles at 17 dollars a bag and that doesnt go to far with them their are 24 of them. 8 of them are the huge meat birds and 16 of them are egg layers.

They are three months old, I have been feeding them crumbles at 17 dollars a bag and that doesnt go to far with them their are 24 of them. 8 of them are the huge meat birds and 16 of them are egg layers.
Also thanks so much I'm glad to find a spot to get good information on having happy healthy chickens. Most people dont seem to care to much about how they treat their birds because they will be used for food. I think they should be treated way better because they will be giving me food.

:goodpost:

I will add to that that DE is not proven to eliminate an infestation or even prevent one.
It is however a very fine powder that is extremely hard on chickens tiny lungs as well as human lungs.
It becomes airborne very easily and floats far. It is harmful to bees and other beneficial insects.

Trying to formulate a feed at home that is nutritionally complete is much more expensive than buying one already made.

What advice did the feed store give you that caused bumble foot?
Ok thanks you so much I will get ride of that de asap.

Welcome!
Your feed is either a growth or all flock type feed, I hope. That sounds about right as far as cost is concerned.
Cornishx meat birds grow painfully fast, and are very efficient eaters, but you have to realize the pound of feed per pound of weight gain conversion here for them.
What do they weight? Typically each pound of Cornishx takes two pounds of feed (more for wastage), so a bird weighing is at 8 pounds body weight took at least 16 pounds of feed.
Home grown birds taste better and do better, BUT are NOT less expensive to raise!!! Grocery store eggs and chicken meat will always be cheaper than home grown, for many reasons.
It's very much more difficult and expensive to mix a balanced diet for them at home.
Mary

Welcome!
Your feed is either a growth or all flock type feed, I hope. That sounds about right as far as cost is concerned.
Cornishx meat birds grow painfully fast, and are very efficient eaters, but you have to realize the pound of feed per pound of weight gain conversion here for them.
What do they weight? Typically each pound of Cornishx takes two pounds of feed (more for wastage), so a bird weighing is at 8 pounds body weight took at least 16 pounds of feed.
Home grown birds taste better and do better, BUT are NOT less expensive to raise!!! Grocery store eggs and chicken meat will always be cheaper than home grown, for many reasons.
It's very much more difficult and expensive to mix a balanced diet for them at home.
Mary
My meat birds are eating about 7 pounds of that feed in one day and only seem to want to eat either corn or bugs that are on the ground they wont eat what falls. They look like 2 year olds that just cant seem to work a spoon and all the food goes all over.

Back
Top Bottom