Feeding my chickens

willy546

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
For several months my chickens were free ranging, I've since enclosed them due to raccoons, they have about 300 sq feet to run, play, hunt for food etc. They just completed finished antibiotics for an illness and will not eat commercial food. I've tried laying crumbles, pellets, pellets with a mix of grain and corn, organic laying food. The illness which made them very thin, they do get bugs and snails from the garden, grass. What can I do to get weight back on their bones? They are so precious to me I even took them to the vet when they were sick. I was told it's very important for them to eat the laying food, that they won't touch. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Janice

Layer is important, but not the only way to go. You could feed an all flock or raiser, with a calcium supplement on the side for when they need it. You could try wetting some of the layer, chickens do tend to eat it better when its moist. A higher protein feed might help put weight back on. They must have been really sick not to have eaten grains.

Yes, they were very ill. I discovered rats were invading their run at night, they got sick from the feces. Then one layed a rubbed egg and got peritonitis. After 10 days on meds they choose not to eat any of their food, including corn. My vet said feed them what they will eat for a while then slip back in with the poultry food. This a.m. was scrambled egg with banana. Tonight cucumber, wheat bread soaked in milk, hearts of sunflower with a dash of meal worms. I cleaned out the entire pen and have trapped a few rats. Hoping for the best the sickest one is doing well, the other just won't eat and isn't putting any weight on. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a try.
Take Care.

Back
Top Bottom