Feeding my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aprilgrem, Feb 2, 2016.

1. aprilgrem

aprilgrem Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2015
    Curious how long do they stay on the Chick crumble and when do you move on to feeding them something else? Mine were 3 wks old yesterday.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If you are feeding the amprolium medicated feed, until about three months of age, then transition to a Flock Raiser type feed. Meat chicks might get a meat bird feed until processing. An all-flock feed like Flock Raiser can be fed for life, with oyster shell on the side when they are laying. There's really not only one correct answer! Mary

1 person likes this.
  3. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks! I guess I will need to see what it is exactly I am feeding them. I know it is Chicken Crumble/Starter.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    are they on a medicated feed to help prevent coccidosis? if yes I agree that around 3 months of age to will switch to a grower. Then when they begin to lay around 5-6 months you will want to switch again to a layer feed and also give supplements for calcium. I and most folks use Oyster she'll for that. There bodies can get quickly depleted of calcium when laying leading to soft she'll eggs =ct.but Oyster she'll usually keeps that from happening. Around 5-6 months old at laying age I switch to organic feed and give prebiotic in drinking water.Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    I am not really sure what they are on. The guy at the feed store helped me with the food and since I only had 3 sold me 5lbs out of a huge bag he had @ .50 a lb. I need more so I am going by there today I will have to check and make sure it is medicated as it seems this is best.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Medicated chick starter is not necessarily better, it just gives you one less thing to worry about. That can be a huge plus for first time chicken owners. If you choose to feed unmedicated, than you need to make sure to have something on hand to treat any coccidia outbreaks. Once they are completely feathered and have been living outside for about a month, you can switch them to something else.
    Growing birds need to be fed a feed that is at least 18% protein. Do not offer a layer feed unless every bird in the flock is actively laying. I keep my whole flock on a 20% grower feed for their entire lives, and offer crushed oyster shell for my layers.

7. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks! If it means one less thing to worry about then I def want to use it to feed. Since these are my first chicks ever I need all the help I can get!

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    yes I agree I always use the medicated feed because mine dont get the coccidosis vaccine. They can get coccidosis from feces and soil. I try and bring a very small amount of soil in and SLOWLY introduce them to the cocci in my soil. this way hopefully they develop a kind of immunity to it. it's when they get a overload into their system and it takes over they get sick. Signs of cocci can be excessive sleepiness and lethargy and SOME TIME bloody stool. There are several different strains of coccidosis and not all of them produce bloody stool so don't use the bloody stool as the only way to diagnose cocci if you expect it.if you ever do run across a case of coccidosis, treat all the birds with Amprolium. The brand name here is Corid. The medicated food helps the chicks fight the cocci but it's still possible to get it on medicated feed, just a lot less likely. I hope this helps out a bit.:fl

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks!! I have been bringing them out a little at a time. This weekend they were out for a few hours since the weather was so nice! They do NOT like coming back inside.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's very important to have fresh feed; always check the date on the feed bag. I won't feed anything over eight weeks from date of manufacture, and newer is better. Some of the vitamins will be too far gone as time goes on. By all means buy small amounts of feed for only a few chicks. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by