Feeding My Chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shoo80, Apr 6, 2008.

1. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    My chicks are about 7 weeks old now. I know that they eat chick starter until they are 18 weeks or something. Can they eat anything else at this age like corn or milo. I know that when they are hungry they peck at things I stick in there pin. Can someone let me know.

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:They don't NEED anything else, but might like bugs and green stuff ... grass, broccoli etc.

If they eat this, then give them hard grit too.

3. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    I have always fed starter for 8 weeks, then an all purpose till 18 weeks when they go on layer formula. if they cant go outside yest, hang a head of leaf lettuce in th epen. They will be highly entertained and get some other food. worms are always fun too.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Can sand be considered as grit. Mine play in the sand then eat it. They are left to roam in the run on sunny days. John

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  5. plucky

plucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Arkansas
    My layer chicks are now 6 weeks old and about to finish a bag of starter. I see that some people keep their chicks on starter for 18 weeks, and some start with the all-purpose after 6 weeks. The only all-purpose feed the closest feed store carries is 16% protein. Is this ok? Should it be higher protein? Would it be better to stay on the 18% starter? Can they start eating scratch grains too?
    [​IMG]

Right now my chicks are doing great in the coop, with access to a run during the day. They eat grass and bugs and have plenty of grit. If they need something different, I can drive to another store...I'd just rather not![​IMG]

6. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have the same question as you, plucky. [​IMG]
    My feed store only carries starter (18%) and layer- the guy said to feed the starter to them for 5 months and then switch- they are 14 weeks right now.
    Does anyone know if I should try to find a grower? i let mine out i the yard when we're home and they get to run around eating plants and bugs and such- otherwise their mainly in the run with just the feed. (they've already started to make it quite a barren patch of land)
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by