Feeding my chooks maggots

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lovingherhens, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Lovingherhens

Lovingherhens New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi all hope ur all ok? Since my lAst post about my chickens not eating I've since checked their crops and think they might be impacted so have read some people suggest feeding them White maggots to dislodge the stuck food anyone think this is a gud idea and if so how many shud I feed each hen? Thanks for any feedbCk [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    some people suggest feeding them White maggots to dislodge the stuck food

Don't believe everything you hear​

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I guess I have an interest in this field. I have to wonder, is the crop aerobic or anaerobic? What's the pH in there? Which kind of maggots? Has anybody had an actual study done?

In wound care, I have actually applied maggots rarely, but pretty frequently encountered maggots already in chronic wounds (the ones which look awful but have no odor are usually the ones with maggots). Since birds usually eat any maggots they find, I bet it wouldn't be bad to try.

4. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    My girls LOVE eating maggots from the compost pile once in awhile! But I dont know about them being helpful in their crop. That part sounds a little strange to me.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 Mine will eat maggots if they find them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by