Feeding my medicated chickens their eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rregghead, Mar 21, 2013.

1. rregghead

rregghead New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    I am giving my chickens Corid right now to treat Coccidia...Was just wondering if anyone that has done this, has scrambled the collected eggs and fed them back to the chickens ? It seems like such a waste to throw the eggs away since we can't eat them right now.

2. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    i wouldn't start feeding them eggs because they may start eating there own eggs as soon as there laid so that would be a bigger waste of eggs! but thats what i would do but you can make your own desicion[​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, [​IMG]! Pleased to have you here. I have heard that people have done that. I do not think it will make the chickens eat their own eggs out of the nest. Good luck to you!

6. DEBRA56

DEBRA56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Hey rregghead, I am wondering the same thing! I am giving our Sulfadimethoxine for possible coccidiosis. The gal at Del's farm supply thought this may be it, although she is not a Vet. I won't eat them myself but wonder if they are scrambled, what's the harm? They get scrambled aggs all the time anyway.......let me know if you found out/find out anything ok? Thanks, Deb

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I don't know if the chickens end up getting more medication thru eating the eggs but, scrambled eggs shouldn't cause egg eaters. Chickens probably don't even recognize it being an egg.

9. rregghead

rregghead New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    Yes, we did feed scrambled eggs while we were medicating, but we stopped feeding them the scrambled eggs when we took them off the medication. We waited 7 days before we started feeding them scrambled eggs again, the same amount of time for us to eat them again :)

10. DEBRA56

DEBRA56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Ok, thanks all for your input. I think I will just throw them out, darn it![​IMG] Will wait 10 days until we and hens can eat them again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by