Feeding my young(ish) barred rocks..?

bennnn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
I got a hold of two barred rock hens to start my chicken (farm,,, lol) program with...

They look full grown, but I bought them understanding that they are not quite old enough to lay yet, but what the heck should I be feeding them?

The pen I have them in is an old dog lot that is grown up with high grass, and has a ton of ant colonys in it, half shady, half sun,, all the water they could want. So I'm not worried about them starving or anything,,, but....

What is the best thing to give them as far as helping them finish getting ready for some egg laying?

Well, since you have no idea on thier age...and they are not laying yet...I would have them on chick grower/finisher. As soon as they start laying...start them on layer feed. I use pellets, less waste. Wouldnt hurt to put out some crushed oyster shell...free choice too. Also, watch those ants. I know my chickens wont eat them, and ants can become very pesky in a coop. Getting into the feed, and nest boxes. Congrats on your first few hens...I hope you are ready to expand...usually what starts as 2...winds up LOTS more.
wink.png

Oh crap,, I kind of figured they would eat some of the ants.

I have also been giving them some regular cracked corn, they are all over it.

Back
Top Bottom