Feeding new born chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RHewitt, Feb 1, 2009.

1. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

If you take your chick starter feed and blend it into a fine mix like cornmeal, your chicks can eat it much easier and get a head start on the nutrition they need. I kept noticing that new born chicks where picking up the larger pieces and dropping them. They seem to large for them to swallow so I put some in my blender. The chicks eat it like crazy and waste much less feed as well. I sent this idea to a poultry magazine and they published it. I am sharing this with the forum to help others get their chicks healthy and happy faster. Give it a try, you will be pleased with the results.[​IMG]

2. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Thank you this will be much help on the 23rd YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for your suggestion!!! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll give it a "whirl"... or a "buzz"!

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I absolutely agree!!! I noticed the same thing...mine were picking up the crumbles and then dropping them...so I've been putting the crumbles in my Magic Bullet (just a couple seconds, not completely powdered) and now they eat like little piggies. They are growing sooooo fast!

Also, I bought a Frizzle yesterday (umm, impulse purchase, long story...LOL) and I was told she is about a week old. That means she is only a few days younger than mine, and she's TINY...seriously, half the size of my chicks. I noticed that she was being fed crumbles that were not ground up smaller, and I think she hasn't been able to eat enough because of that. I hope she goes through a growth spurt with her new easier-to-eat crumbles [​IMG]

6. We have a coffee grinder just for this purpose. It works really well and the chicks get fresh starter about a fourth cup at a time.

Also, we switched to hamster waterers with a red end on it. Use the double ball bearing ones, the chicks figure it out pretty quick.

7. RHewitt

TX, I actually use a Magic Bullet as well they are cool. I mentioned a blender since most people would have one.

You are right about your new additon not getting enough to eat. Last spring I ordered some bantams and lost several after a few days. After carefully watching them I noticed that crumble size problem and decided to belnd up some feed. Never lost another one and they ate it like they where starving. Maybe they where. I really feel we should all share this knwoledge to help others avoid chick loss. The manufacturers should offer a starter feed made for the first few weeks until the chicks are large enough to eat full size crumbles.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been feeding Fiona (my TINY new frizzle) the ground up crumbles and a little hard-boiled egg since Saturday afternoon, and today she is looking great [​IMG] She's a feisty little thing running around and playing with the big chicks. I was worried about her being so small, but now I think she'll be fine.

9. RHewitt

If Fiona is that energetic I am sure she is healthy and will do just fine. Take care!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use medicated Starter/Grower crumbles and have never had any problems with any of my chicks. I only lost one chick but it was sick when I got it and wouldn't eat or drink no matter how hard I tried and it died at 4 days old. All of my other birds are healthy and happy. My first to start laying was 17 weeks old. My babies are now 16 weeks. Time for more chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by