feeding newborn turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by harris farm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    can I feed the chicken babies the same as the turkey babies. I will be putting them together in brooder.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yes!! In fact thats the best idea as Baby turkeys are not the brightest bulbs on the tree-- [​IMG] they have to be shown their food and water over and over but since you are putting them in with chicks at the same time-0thats perfect since the chicks will show the turkeys the feed and water consistently! make sure you put pebbles in waterer as turkey poults are famous for drowning:-(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I did, and it worked out fine at least so far. My turkeys are 4 1/2 weeks old. I now have them on Dumor 24% Starter that I got at Tractor Supply, and I have noticed a big difference in the turkeys growth since I increased the protein in their food. I don't readily have turkey food or turkey starter where I live.

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    My chicks and poults eat Gamebird/Turkey Starter 28% protein. My chicks grow and feather out fast on that food. Even my adult chickens eat what my turkeys eat without any problem.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Turkey or gamsbird starter will be fine for the chicks. If your local feedstore doesn't carry it, ask them to order you a bag or 3 next time they get feed. You may have to prepay but they will do the best on 28-30% feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by