Feeding Oats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 19, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I was wondering if anyone knew the specific pros and cons of feeding oats to chickens? That includes growing birds and birds in production/out of production.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They'd be fine to mix with other grains, but couldnt be a complete diet by themselves

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Is there no specific advantages to feeding it? One old-timer told me that feeding oats to young stock would "put weight on them" and "keep weight" on older birds.

Is this not the case?

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I don't know any pros or cons about oats, but I do know they're included in the feed and scratch that I've got.

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Last winter I bought a few bags of oats and added them to the feed for the flock. Oats are a carb so they would help with weight gain and helping the flock to keep warmer in the cold weather.

A lot of ppl cook up oatmeal to feed to their flock on a cold night.......

Julie [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine like them and I throw it out as scratch for them.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I don't know about the nutritional values, but I give my girls porridge every morning while it is so cold here and they love it, but I don't give in isolation,
    I give them their laying pellets too.

Porridge and treats are in addition. I sometimes add raisins, and yogurt, and they also have greens every day.

But I am sure they do no harm as a supplement.

Makesme feel good anyway that I am giving them comfort food. lol.

Jena.

8. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I give mine soaked rolled oats every day. They love it in a frantic way. But, I also give them a huge variety of other things. Plus they have pellets available all day too and can fun around looking for insects if they want. I wouldn't just feed them oats, but have everything they need available so they can pick what they need. I have a friend that just feeds her chickens the leftover rice from dinner.....they do just fine too. Although I wouldn't do that.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I give my birds oats as part of their treats every day. They love them. The horses too.

10. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    When it gets cold here (WI) I make up a big batch of oatmeal and stir in mashed bananas. You haven't seen CRAZY until you've seen my 40+ chickens attack the bowls of banana-oatmeal. Pirrahnas are neat eaters in comparison! The only thing crazier is when we are canning tomatoes and I bring out the 10 gallons of tomato cores in the summer. 2 minutes and it looks like the Wisconsin Chicken Chainsaw Massacres!! Everyone is dripping red and running around like crazy! The white silkies look the worst!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by