feeding organ meats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by messianicmom, Jan 25, 2010.

1. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    I purchase whole lamb and have 3 packages of their organ meats. We don't consume it fast enough so I am considering giving it to the chickens, as from what I've read, some meat would be fine. It is completely grass-fed lamb organs and I can't bear to waste it.
    How should I prepare it? I don't have a grinder yet, but I can cut into chicnks. Should I lightly cook it, leaving it a little raw inside? Or cook it all the way through?
    Any organs I shouldn't give them? I have the heart, liver, spleen (?) and kidneys.
    I'm assuming Winter is the best time to give this to them since bugs are almost non-existant.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Personnaly I would cookit all the way thru as you dont want to have to worry about any bacteria or parasites transferring to your chickens... I never cut up meat or anything for my chickens .. Just boil, cool, toss and poof its gone.. LIL Velociraptors....

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Heart and liver for sure.. Just be sure the bile sack has been removed from the liver. Cooking too would be safest.
    ON

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I do both. Cook sometimes or they get it raw. I do cut it into big chunks since I have alot of chickens. Someone is bound to get hurt if they all go for one hunk of meat. Some posters on here will tell you NOT to feed raw, it will make the chickens cannibalistic. I have been giving my chickens raw meat/organs for almost two years now and have not had a problem. If if there is an injured bird it doesn't get pecked on anymore than normal. Your lamb organs should be just fine. Prepare it the way you want. I'm sure your chickens will love you no matter if it is cooked or raw.[​IMG]

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with the other posters. Prepare it any way you want. Don`t cut into SMALL chunks as they may choke. Let`m tear it apart for themselves........Pop

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'd keep it & make Haggis. In fact that's just what I do with Lamb organ meats.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:On a side note.. They just annouced yesterday that the US will start to allow Haggis Importation into the US again.. Yay.. Ive never had real haggis and cant wait to try it..

8. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    OK, never heard of haggies, so I looked it up. I don't think I"ll be making anything in an animals stomach anytime soon! Howver, I am slowly incorporating organ meats into dishes such as morning sausage patties, meatloaf and meat balls. Just awaiting a grinder. I have three packages of organ meats and will be getting more this Spring.
    I think I"ll partially cook it, as I'm not too concerned with bad bacteria, as these lambs are from a strictly grass-fed source, making existance of e-coli and such about nil.
    I give them homemade, raw curds and whey, so I think their bacteria situation is good to handle med. to med-rare meat, too.

Yes, I'm known as the snack momma to my chickens. They know which door I come out of and come runnin'! They love me! A few times they've come up to my back deck and
    my Buff male starts crowing for me.

Thanks everyone!

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:On a side note.. They just annouced yesterday that the US will start to allow Haggis Importation into the US again.. Yay.. Ive never had real haggis and cant wait to try it..

Serve it with mashed potatoes [tatties] & turnips [neeps].

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN

Serve it with mashed potatoes [tatties] & turnips [neeps].

Sounds yummy....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by