1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding, organic feeds & cost

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sayyadina, Oct 19, 2009.

1. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    We're still in the planning phase of our duck adventure, and I'm kind of curious about some feeding issues.

We're going to have 15 ducks & 2 geese, and since they're all waterfowl I'm assuming they have similar nutritional requirements. Right?

How much feed will they need each day? They are going to be allowed access to pasture during the day, but will be locked up at night. And they won't be able to get any pasture during the winter, due to snow & ice, though they will be allowed to go out during the day, if there isn't a storm coming through. This year, we've already had a little snow, and we can get snow through May.

Do they need oyster shell or grit?

I was also wondering if it would be worthwhile to give them an organic feed, or not. I don't think we'd eat any of the eggs ourselves, since I have a pretty sensitive stomach and sometimes find chicken eggs too strong tasting, but there is a local co-op that might be able to sell our eggs. The ducks are more like pets and aren't going to be eaten, though I don't think I'd have an issue with the geese becoming food if they become unmanageable.

I was also wondering what it costs, in terms of feed, for ducks. The local feed store carries Blue Seal, and there are a couple others in the area that have Nature's Best Organic. Tractor Supply isn't an option, since the closest one is over an hour away.

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Geese are herbivores, and ducks are omnivores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by