Feeding Orpingtons for show, growth, and breeding

thedragonlady

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Camden,S.C.
Walt, DaveK , Jim, Aveca, Dr. Miller,...

I am very curious as to what the best grown show Orps are fed.I think that this is a thread that we could all use
When I got SL Wyandotte LF from Herb Holtz he insisted that I hatch in cold weather, and feed a lot of whole grains. Herb ate his culls, and told me that he test fed 2 groups of Wyandottes. One group got cracked grains, and one group got whole grains, heavy on the oats. Both groups got identical starter and grower, plus free range. Herb told me that when dressed out, the whole grains birds had much bigger body size and gizzards than the ones on scratch.

I followed his advice, and was able to keep size on SL Wyandottes raised in Georgia. I hatched in cold weather too, so they would eat more to keep warm. How many people know that a chicken stays warm by what is hard to digest, rather like a cow or a goat? The crop is acting like a fermentation vat providing heat. So mine get whole corn ,oats, and wheat in the winter, but just as a treat in the summer. The opposite of this is that the tiny show bantams cannot survive without heat in the North. Not enough body mass.Bantams brought North eventually produce larger bantams unless kept in heated quarters.

Anybody want to weigh in on this thread? I think it would be most helpful to all.

Vickie

Last edited:
Hello! Great idea! We feed 18% All Flock by Nutrena. Also Nutrena Baby chick feed.

We have been advised by Terry Britt to always hatch large fowl Orpingtons from about November to February. Others advised hatching bantams from May to September.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom