Feeding our new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Apr 3, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Our new "kindergarten classroom" chicks came home today. There are 15 of them. Breed unknown, except that they are a "mixed light variety". They are a week old, I have the temp at a stable 90 degrees, and changing their water as frequently as they dirty it (seems every 5 minutes!). At the school, they fed them three times a day. I bought them a feeder. Can I leave that feeder in there or should they be fed "meals?" I'm thinking it's ok to let them eat at will. I have discovered they make quite a mess with the feeder though, so I've been taking it out, letting them clean up the mess, then putting it back in. Quite active little guys! This is gonna be fun!

Thanks!
    Angie

2. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Howdy.

You should leave the feed out for them. I would recommend a row type feeder, usually about 12-18" long with holes in the lid on two sides. They seem to help with the mess as they are harder to scratch in.

Everything else sounds perfect!

Paul

3. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks! I saw the feeder you mentioned....what I actually bought was a round one, with holes around it, and a jar on top. They seem to be doing ok with that for now....but I'm sure we'll be graduating up to the long one in no time! I have put the food out for them full time, I thought they should....but wanted to double check!

Angie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by