feeding overnight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by electrics1, Nov 6, 2016.

1. electrics1

electrics1 Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    I know my duck needs access to water at all times, but should I leave feed out overnight?

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I don't see the need. Once its dark, ducks wont exactly be looking for food...Just make sure to give them a big feed in the afternoon if your worried about them not eating enough etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I never provide water or feed once I lock them in at night....Mine sleep in an insulated extra large Dog House.....They only need water if they have access to feed or they will choke......
    I freshen the water before I let them out each morning and during the day.....

Cheers!

2 people like this.
  4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I do leave food out, because when I let them out its gone already. I let them out at 7 so they can all lay(else I'd do it at 6) and it lets me not have to carry food out in the morning(lazy bones...)

I will stop for winter however because the will have deep litter( they have open floor now) and I dont want that mess in the litter

Is it necessary? No
    Do I do it coz I'm lazy? Yes

1 person likes this.
  5. electrics1

electrics1 Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    mine is a house duck. I am hoping not to feed her much overnight as it is less mess to clean in the morning. anyone else have a house duck and how often do you feed your ducks if you do?

6. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    I dont have a house duck but I am like the rest. I feed my ducks well mid to late afternoon and lock them up at night WITHOUT food and water. I have been mixing some cracked corn into it since its been getting pretty cold to help give them energy to burn at night the water was iced over this morning outside. but anyways Id imagine a house duck would be the same unless its extremely spoiled lol.

7. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Food is not necessary 24/7 although some provide it. Mine are fed twice a day and get some treats before bed and have water access all day. At night in the enclosure they do have access to water because my intelligent drake likes to check out the pine shavings. Haha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by