Feeding Peanuts???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by animal_lover, May 14, 2008.

1. animal_lover

animal_lover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I have a friend that raises chickens and she feeds them crushed peanuts. What would be the purpose of feeding them this and is it good for them?[​IMG]

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I wish somebody would respond to this. I am interested in what they have to say......

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    me 2!

4. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have fed mine peanuts before but not as the main nutrient. If I eat peanuts outside I will feed them at the same time I eat them. They love them!

Peanuts are full of protein naturally so I do not think they harm human or fowl. Just my opinion.

5. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    What if they are mixed in with their food on a daily basis???

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I tried mixing in other "treats" (Black Oil Sunflower Seed/BOSS, to be exact) with their regular feed.

What happened was they'd bill out the feed to get to the "good stuff".

So from my experience, it's best to give them something like this as a rare treat, seperate from their regular feed.

Haven't tried peanuts but ours like the occassional chopped Walnuts and Pecans.

Dawn

7. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I give mine peanut hearts in thier scratch.......once a day, in the morning when the chickens go out I feed them a mix of corn, rolled oats, BOSS, and peanut hearts. for 21 bantams, they get a total of about 2 cups per day. I want them to eat thier chicken food, not just the "junk" food.
    I would say your friend is not hurting them, as long as it is a treat.....I would not give it as a staple though. Just my opinion, though. [​IMG]

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Hey, animal_lover is at school, but I know alittle about the friend in question..
    She buy's the peanuts by the pound and crushes them up and mixes it with there feed everyday. They have access to this all day. She even feeds the day old's the same thing. She also feeds them turkey feed. She say's that she want's them big and fat. I personlly do not see the point in the turkey feed. So that is why animal_lover is asking, just so she can tell her what the right thing to do is. Thanks......

9. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks barnyard. That is what I am trying to say. =0) [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Peanuts are loaded with protein (incomplete lacking some amino acids). However, if digested with a whole grain grain they form a complete protein equal to animal protein. That is at least as far as humans go, and why that rule is good for Vegans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by