Feeding Pet Bird Grit to chickens and ducks! is it okay...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Echo5, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Echo5

Echo5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I have 2 week old ducklings and chicks. I`v been giving them sand as a source of grit, but i thought i might try some grit from the pet store that are given to pet birds.. Is that okay to give to poultry or even mix with food or sand. It has oyster shells in it and I herd that was good for them.. It`s called Bird Gravel digestive care. My feed store does not have any grit available of course...
    Any advise would be great :)
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. Kinikki

Kinikki New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Hello, I was wondering if you ever received an answer to this question.. I have 3 week old chicks and digestive care pet bird grit and I'm wondering if it is safe to use.. Thank you

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Pet bird grit typically contains calcium, and shouldn't be used for chicks. Read the ingredients, and if calcium is in there, save it until the chicks are closer to laying age.
    I give my chicks dirt from the yard to use for grit (and bathing), I've never had an issue doing it that way but some areas seem to have a much heavier cocci load than I do, so its also something to consider. Sand makes great grit as well, or you can purchase chick grit at just about any farm store.
    Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by