Feeding Poults- Which food is best?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebirdgirl, Jul 23, 2008.

1. thebirdgirl

thebirdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northeast, MA
    Hi everyone,
    I have two baby poults, broad breasted white turkeys. I had two of these several years ago which lived to be 7 and were so sweet and friendly. These guys are one week old and I'm not sure what is the best food for them. The turkey starter has 28% protein, which I know would be best if I wanted them to grow quickly so I could eat them. But since I am going to keep them as pets, I would prefer a feed that would keep the healthy and grow slower if possible, so they don't develop muscular/skeletal problems. Will a lower protein feed be best? I have gamebird crumbles for them right now which is 22% protein.
    There are so many different kinds of food! Any help would be appreciated!

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I would defintley recomend feeding them a high protein feed. I have never raised them as pets only for meat, but one year we gave them lower protein to try and slow down there growth rate. They seemed to grow just as large but they also got a little bit of angel wing. We also had one bust its leg for no aparent reason. Ideal Poultry says that they must have a high protein feed. As I under stand it they have just been bred to the point where they have to have high protein in there feed. I now have Naragansets who do not have to have a high protein feed. I like them much better. They are very easy to make tame , and they are very friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by