1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding prediciton

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by minister man, Feb 12, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    How long would you guess that it would take 12-16 silies to eat a 55 lb bag of layer, assuming that they are totally confined?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    2 - 3 weeks

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have 12 layers and they eat 50#'s every 2-3 weeks. They never leave the coop Though that will change this spring. They will get a run and hopefully the feed bill will shrink!

4. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    This is kind of our first experience With silkies, but as I understand it they don't lay many or maybe any eggs in the winter time. I have read that they need a high protien feed when they are laying and growing and showing, So I am feeding the 8 I have a 19% Layer krums. They are starting to lay now, so I hope to hatch some this summer. Any way, do I just feed the layer all year around, or what do you feed them when they are just on maitainance through the winter? Around here the layer is in a 55 lbs bag and cost 15 $

The place where I buy feed doesn't sell a breeder ration, but the local purina sells a "Game bird Breeder ration". I am not sure but I think it is about 20 % but it is a couple or three dollars more a bag. Would that be worth it? or is the layer fine? would I need to feed the breeder ration only in the spring and the layer the rest of the time? What does everyone else do? I want to take good care of the birds, but I don't want to go too over boad on expences. After all they are only pets to me.

thanks

5. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    I feed Purina Flock Raiser pellets to my breeding birds, and I really like it. It has 20% protein, about 4% fat and about 1.5% calcium. I feed it all year round. I also had to use up some 20% broiler ration from our local feed store, and my birds looked good on that too.

I think that the layer you have them on right now (19% protein) should be OK, but you could do a 50-50 split of your flock and feed one feed to one half and one feed to the other half, then hatch the eggs you collect over a set period of time (but remember to mark which eggs came from which pen) and make up your mind based on the condition of the parent birds and the hatch rates and condition of the offspring. Also compare the labels on the different feeds you have available. But do what you feel is right for your flock. Do all the research you want, but then make your own decision.

ETA

You don't need to feed a breeder ration to your breeding birds.

And you may want to add oyster shell free choice aside from a non-layer feed if you have trouble with thin-shelled eggs, but I have never needed it with Flock Raiser.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I been reading everybodys posts on feeding, and how long a 50 pd bag should last with so many chickens etc. So in everybodys eyes, how much should a pen with 29 chickens eat in a two week period. They are about 4 months, and mostly bantams. I think my dh goes through a 50 pound bag in a week? How do you measure the feed (if you do) according to how many are in the same pen?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I feed Flock Raiser to my flock of 17 hens and 2 roos, but I also offer oyster shell, they gobble it up so they must need it. I do offer it separate from the feed. I appreciate the info. on the game bird, I was thinking about trying it but my feed store has to order it for me, but I think after reading the post about the FR being as good I'll just stick to FR. also you might try the silkie thread thats were you'll be talking to Silkie owners and what they feed their birds.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm going to guess 3-4 weeks but it is really just a guess. [​IMG] Silkies are wonderful!!!!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am very excited I will be getting 3 silkies in the spring... [​IMG]

10. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    So how do you measure the feed and how much do you give for 17 hens? My hens are spoiled, they just won't touch the pellets, they hate um'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by