feeding produce to flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by truebuilt76, Sep 15, 2012.

1. truebuilt76

truebuilt76 New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Cedar City, Utah
    I feed produce almost on a daily basis to my hens. Normally is just thrown in the pen and they rummage through it. The downside is the clean up. I am constantly raking corn cobs and watermelon rinds out of the coop. What ways do you feed your flock and keep the produce off the ground. I was thinking a wire basket of sorts. Suggestions?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
  3. truebuilt76

truebuilt76 New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Cedar City, Utah
    I like the idea of the treat ball, although it allows for a limited amount of produce. I'm not sure corn would work in it either.

Thanks fellow southern Utahn.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I hate that mess, too, so have begun to remove the rind before giving the melon. I've also been known to cut the corn off the cob for the same reason. Of course, I only have a few birds, if you're giving larger quantities it would be really time consuming. For me, it only takes a second and eliminates a lot of mess.

5. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    If you grow thinner rind watermelons they will eat rind and all. When I give my chickens and ducks watermelon it disappears completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by