Feeding pullets and an adult hen

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blackpanther201, Jan 15, 2019.

1. blackpanther201

blackpanther201 Hatching

Jan 15, 2019
    Te Horo, New Zealand
    I'm needing some advice. We currently have a 2 year old hen (free range) and will be getting 2 pullets tomorrow (around 14-15 weeks) . Once we introduce everyone and they start to feed together, should we go with growers pellets for everyone or what is best? We've only ever had adult hens and never got them this young before.

Also we are in New Zealand and I don't think we have most of the brands available here in chicken feed, like purina.

Shadrach likes this.
  2. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    You can feed them all grower, just add an extra dish of oyster shells for their calcium needs. :)

3. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello blackpanther201
    Welcome to BYC.
    What @Brahmachicken240 has written is fine.
    You just need to avoid any feed with high calcium content (greater than 1.5%) until the pullets start laying.

blackdog043 and Brahmachicken240 like this.
  4. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Honestly isn't a big deal whether you do layer or grower with oyster shell as they are considered withen a month of laying age. Ideally you start them on the additional calcium a few weeks to a month before they lay their first eggs. Since you don't have a crystal ball to consult about when their first eggs are going to come it becomes an educated guess based on age, breed, time of year or how much light they are exposed to.

quote "Purina Layena® is best fed one month before hens begin to lay"

Either way your birds are going to be just fine so it's whatever is easiest for you. You definitely do not want to raise chicks on high calcium feed, however by 16 weeks you are just fine to feed layer ration. Nutrina recommends that you switch over to the layer at 16 weeks. Purina says 18 weeks.

Quote from Nutrena "Feed as the sole ration beginning at 16 weeks of age. You may provide access to coarse oyster shell or limestone as desired."

Purina has a nutritional section just above here if you want to look it over.

Edited to add quotes from Purina / Nutrena websites.

https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-hearty-hen

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-layena

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I feed a 18 to 20% Protein Non-medicated Starter Grower or All-Flock/Flock Raser to All beginning at 10 weeks with Oyster Shells separately.
    I got 33 months old layers and Non laying and 22 weeks old laying and Non laying.
    The layers eggs have strong Shells. 20190114_111416.jpg . GC

Timothy Menezes likes this.
  6. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I prefer to feed an all-flock or grower type, with separate oyster shell, so the total protein is 18% to 20%, rather than 16%.
    Whatever you buy, make sure it's fresh by checking the mill date on each bag, if that's done in NZ as it is here.
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: