Feeding Pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by glencoejo, Feb 3, 2014.

1. glencoejo

glencoejo New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    I have a dozen new Australorp pullets. They are approx 16 weeks old and I am feeding them with Chick Grower. They are doing very well. How long should I keep them on the Grower? When should I change over to pellets? What is the best feed to give them?

The man I purchased these pullets from told me that I should keep my chooks locked in their pen every second day and give them a feed of pollard mixed with dolomite. He told me that this would prevent the egg shells from becoming brittle as the hens age. Has anyone ever heard of such a practice? Would it be safe to do as he suggests?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I personally feed grower until I start seeing eggs, then I start supplying oystershell on the side while I use up the grower and switch to layer with the next bag of feed.

I've never heard of the pollard/dolomite feed. I feed mine layer and that meets their calcium requirements, so that's what I'd suggest. Maybe someone else will chime in and tell you more about that.

Oh and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I just use pullet grower then add oyster shell, i don't even use layer here too many roos, my hens are fed the same way, the eggs are fine.

Sorry never heard of the pollard mixed with dolomite? as i say the only 'special' thing i ever did was add the oyster shell..

4. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I used a grower as well and switched to layer when I should be expecting eggs from them. Oyster shell provided free choice on the side. I haven't heard of locking them up every other day though. With the oyster shell, any calcium they would "miss" by grazing they pick up before they go to roost or in the early morning when they come down.

5. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Economically, the most efficient way to feed them is according to the directions on the bag. All of the different brands are just a bit different.
    Everyone develops their own way, but you will not go wrong by buying good feed, and following the directions.

I would not get caught up in all of the extras. The layer ration will have the calcium that they need. Keep it simple and you and they will do well.

If you do decide to make adjustments, then keep oyster shells available.

6. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Would a hen develope a vitamin deficiency if fed a good layer pellet? Plus scratch and very good treats...

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dolomite is a kind of limestone. I'm not familiar with what is available to you there in Australia. One of the cautions in using crushed limestone, for us here in the States anyway, is that there is often a very high concentration of magnesium in it. If you can be sure of the analysis of the dolomite, it may be alright. I prefer calcium limestone that has a very low, less than 12% magnesium concentration.

Oyster shells crushed may or may not be available to you.

I also prefer to limit the amount of any calcium source within the feed itself. I prefer to offer the majority of the calcium supplement in a side bowl and the birds can partake as they wish, as their bodies crave it.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She would be fine as long as the scratch and treats does not amount to more than 10% of her daily food intake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by