feeding pumpkin to chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peep this, Oct 22, 2010.

1. peep this

peep this Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi!
    I've read that chickens love pumpkin. So far my chickens have been indifferent. Do you cook your pumpkins before giving them to the chickens so they are soft or just cut them in half and plop them out in the coop with the girls?
    Thanks!

2. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    I brought home a large pumpkin that had a couple of soft spots in it last Friday. I didn't even bother to cut it open, just plopped it out in the chicken pen. The chickens worked on it, starting with the soft spots, all weekend. There is not a trace of the pumpkin left. Kept them busy, that's for sure!

3. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    My girls LOVE pumpkins !! I just cut them in half and give it to them. They clean it right up !!

Kacey

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Apparently some birds don't care for it, but every chicken I've ever had would scarf up pumpkins when ever they could.

5. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm going to try it this weekend, as they're calling for cold and rain, so it may be a boredom buster for them if they have to stay in.

mine have never tried it, and they're pretty indifferent about new things, sometimes it just takes a little while till they figure out what a treat they're getting, then it's:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

oh, and about cooking it, I'm sure it's personal preference but I would guess that the nutritional value is higher in uncooked. me, I'm not gonna bother cooking it for them JMHO

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  6. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Last year I fed my girls butternut squash and they wouldn't touch it so hubs microwaved it until soft then let it cool. He brought it back out to them and they devoured it. I guess they prefer cooked to raw. [​IMG]

7. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    My mom steams pumpkin for her birds all the time. They love it!! I do not have the time for that. My birds will pick at a raw one but they would like it better cooked.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I just cut holes in the side of pumpkins and place them around the yard and they eat them up, no cooking needed.
    [​IMG]

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I cut pumpkins into 1/4 (so no one can hog it all) and place it in several places around the run.. My chickens LOVE it... no cooking and if I don't have a knife handy, I just drop it and it will bust into several pcs... the seeds go first and then into pulp and the rind is the last to go..

Zazouse, You need to frame your picture =it's great... thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Great thread! I was thinking of giving mine one this weekend, might make intergrating easier!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by