Feeding Pumpkin

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by melandtodd, Sep 18, 2011.

1. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    When I give pumpkin to my chickens do I just slice it and give it to them like I do my cantelopes? I cut it into wedges and leave it to them---mostly so there are enough wedges to prevent hoarding and leaving others out. The pumpkin seeds just seem so large to just lay it all out there......[​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

ya know those pans that you get in your stove, i think its a broiler pan... i just spread the guts out on one of those and put it down... yeah, kinda messy, but, no one gets left out. Or get some of those disposible tin pans so you can spread it out thru a few, and then just pick up and chuck when your done.

great natural wormer by the way.... don't have to throw away eggs.

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:There was a thread about the pumpkin seed being a natural wormer last week- some agree, some disagree.
    But what I do know is that when giving the seeds for worming purposes they have to be raw and either ground or chopped. For my 6 chickens for a serving I give about 1/4 a cup mixed with some plain yogurt--they love it!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    cut it open and pour it out...they truly don' t need a dish, they eat rocks and dirt....! I was putting my treats in pans, not anymore, they are full grown, now I just scatter what I have.

5. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    Thank you, everyone. I put it out there---sliced to keep the peace----they ate all the seeds and stringy stuff, but not the flesh. Hmmmm...kinda uneventful. hahahaha They ate the seeds and broke them into pieces themselves. I was worried that the seeds were going to be too big.
    I read that about the "natural deworming" properties...I was just thinking of the "keeping them busy" properties.

6. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I break mine in half and let them do the rest, by the end of the day it is gutted right out [​IMG]

7. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I'll have to try that.. I cut the top off of a pumpkin and offered it to them.. they pecked a bit at the seeds and scattered them a bit, but that was pretty much it.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If you bake it, take out the seeds forst then put back in after baking they like the flesh better or at least mine did. When I fed it raw all they ate was the string and seeds.

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:I feed a lot of pumpkins (3000 lbs last year) and this quote represents how I feed mine.

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    My girls love cooked squash not raw.. then I do also give them the raw squash innards back in the cooked squash, I was wondering is it only pumpkin that has a wormning quality or is it any squash and about the seeds.. being broken, crushed, chopped, ground??? why? what is the reasoning.?? is it the properties inside the seed or the scraping action of the seed itself that clears the intestines?

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by