Feeding Puppy Raw Chicken

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SouthernAlberta, Apr 7, 2012.

1. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    I got a puppy for Christmas, half Great Pyr, 1/4 Springer and 1/4 Border Collie. She's a real farm dog. Anyhow, I have been giving her raw food and about a month ago she had raw chicken feet for the first time. Since I don't have chickens of my own yet, they came from the Asian market. Hubby was just commenting to me tonight that if I want chickens in our backyard, I should probably stop feeding her whole chicken feet. She's also had whole, raw eggs. That should stop, too, eh? Do you ever worry that your dogs will see your chickens as food instead of livestock they must guard?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    A Properly trained LGD should be able to eat raw chickens and eggs without issues.

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I would stop feeding the eggs because the dog will see them as food and recognise them with you chickens, and quite naturally think its found tasty snacks!

As the for foot I am not sure. Just be very careful with you dog around you chickens and never leave them unsupervised together as on day you dog may decide to make a meal of them.

My dog was 100 percent OK around my chickens for over 2 years. I used to leave them together in the garden when I went to work, and my dog would protect them from predators.

Then one day is suddenly changed and my dog killed 2 hens and from that day she will try to chase and catch any hen she can, despite lots of training. Now I have my hens in a large secure run and only let them out when I am there and my dog it in the house.

(my dog used to eat chicken feet since a puppy and did not seem to make a connection between them and the live birds)

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my boy Rayden was raw-fed for years. Whole chickens, but I do crack the eggs. If I'm butchering birds, I will toss scraps to the dogs. Still no problem with them bothering the birds. It's a training/supervision issue.
    I don't leave the dogs unsupervised

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by