Feeding Quail for meat

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AimsChickies, Feb 19, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I know with chickens you feed them a grower/broiler feed, is there an equivilent for quail? Or do you just feed them on the game bird feed until processing time? Thanks!

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    we use game bird feed untill they are grown out and for our breeders we cut back on the protien for them

Steve in NC

3. AimsChickies

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    thank you, Sands!

4. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    they grow so quick they don't really eat all that much anyway. Knowing what we know now about them I wish we would have gotten ours 20 years ago. They are great birds, ours have just started laying again which is right on time as we are out of pickled quail eggs. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

5. AimsChickies

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Have a good recipe for the picked quail eggs? I was actually going to look for one to try this weekend!

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    pickled egg recipe? I am waiting as well! Got a hot and spicy one?

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

YES!! please send me a good pickled quail egg recipie

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    LilRalphieRoosMama gave me a pickled egg recipe that is really good, and you can spice it up as much or as little as you like. [​IMG]
    Let me ask her if she'll share it here...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I thought I had posted one on here before but I couldn't find it. There are a bunch of them in "the encycopedia of country living" by Carla Emory if anybody has that book. We took some from there and modified them for the way we liked the eggs

Steve

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Here's the recipe from Cindy, and it's wonderful! [​IMG]
    "Says to let them sit 3 weeks before opening, but give it 5 weeks; they'll taste much better. They weren't real hot (I like hot though so they might be hot to you) so I made another batch a couple weeks ago and added some pickled jalapenos and habaneros that we made last year, as well as regular white onions, diced, and alot more garlic. Here's the basic recipe:

Heat water to boiling in large pot. Lower eggs in on ladle and boil for 10-14 minutes. Drain and transfer to cold water (rinse/repeat). When eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and transfer to sterilized canning jars.

Meanwhile, in an enameled saucepan (I used my stainless steel) bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for at least two hours. Pour over eggs and wipe rim of jars clean with a damp towel. Place lids on the jars and screw on band tops. Process jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from the hot water and set aside to cool. Jars should seal as they cool. Any jars that do not seal properly should be refrigerated and consumed within 2 weeks.

Allow properly sealed jars to sit at least 2 weeks before eating. (Best at 4-5 weeks).

Yield: 2 pints
    Ingredients
    4 dozen Quail eggs
    3 cups white vinegar
    4 teaspoons Salt
    3 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
    6 garlic cloves
    12 Peppercorns
    10 whole allspice
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
    4 whole cloves – didn’t have so used one thin slice of fresh ginger root
    2 bay leaves
    2 fresh hot peppers, such as Serrano or Tabasco (I used 2 whole habaneros)
    also added some fresh parsley and a spring of fresh thyme.

My own recipe (Cindy's - that I haven't tried yet):

4 cups white vinegar
    1 TBSP salt
    fresh thyme and bayleaves
    mustard seed
    sliced ginger root
    about 15 allspice berries
    1 large white onion thinly sliced
    7 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 heaping TBSP cayenne pepper
    peppercorns

about 10 pickled jalapeno slices and banana peppers, incl some of the dill from the jar, big squirt of green sauce (habanero hot sauce)."

The first recipe is GOOD. [​IMG] The second one I have not tried yet, but if it's anything like the first... more [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by