1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding quail pumpkins for deworming

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lanimilbus, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lanimilbus

lanimilbus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Central Maine
    I've heard from a few people who raise their quail on the ground that they deworm their birds by feeding them raw pumpkin. I've got 5 pumpkins on my front porch that are (I think) still fresh and I've been planning on giving one or more of them to my quail but I'm not sure how to go about it. Should I just cut one in half and put it in their pen and let them have at it, guts, seeds, flesh, stem and all? Or do I only give them a certain part (like just the seeds)?
    The other thing I was wondering about was how long this will last them for before they'd need another "dose" of treatment -- weeks, months, a year?
    Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I feed my chickens pumpkin in hopes of deworming them. I am not sure if it works or not, but it can't hurt and is good for them. I believe that the seeds have the most effect on the worming process, however all this being said, I have never tried to worm my quail with it. I am not even sure quail will eat squash. I once tried cubing some acorn squash and gave it to the quail, and there were no takers on it. And my quail are used to me feeding them odd things.

But I would suggest you chop it up into small pieces and if you can, chop the seeds up as they will be too big for quail to eat. You could put the seeds in a blender or something along these lines. I have heard one dose is good enough, along with feeding pumpkin for 2 full weeks. I am not sure. If they ate enough of it, one dose might be enough. I know my chickens will consume the entire thing in a few hours and I will usually feed it once in a while, but not for 2 weeks straight. Good luck!

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I wonder if the seeds from the little (mini pumpkin) gourds would have the same properties, they look just like pumpkin seeds but 1/4 the size (to me that would be easier for quail to get down). I don't know if cutting/ drying, ect. would alter the deworming properties of the seeds? good topic [​IMG]

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Have pumpkin seeds actually been proven to prevent against worms?

Well....this seems to be one of the "great debates". I believe that I've read about equal numbers as far as those who adamantly swear by it and those equally adamant that this is utter nonsense.

Truly, I haven't decided which side of the fence I fall on yet......

I've given pumpkin to my chickens because - hey - they like it! If quail would enjoy them...they can have some too!
    Worst case - a bit of pumpkin will do no harm.....

JMHO

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Hey if they will eat it give it to them. Its natural.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
  7. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thank you for those!

Based on the info in those links, I can appreciate the effectiveness as a preventative, but not as treatment for an established infestation. Though I understand the cycle would be broken, I'd want the 100% of the adults done in right away! [​IMG]

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    What did you read that makes you come to that conclusion?

9. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    The rate of inhibition of larval development noted in the first thread. The rate of lack of motility in adults noted in the second thread was signifigant...just not enough for me.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    A natural remedy of worm control is pumpkin.

You can get a bottle of Wazine at the feedstore. That is an effective treatment for worming as well [​IMG]

I tend to go with more natural stuff so pumpkin it is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by