Feeding quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you get gamebird feed? Do you buy a specific brand? Suppliment with anything? Do you use a starter with them as you would with chicken chicks? What do yours eat?

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Have you checked with your local mill or feed store? There are a variety of brands available - from the big boys (Purina-Mazuri) to a local milled product. From gbwf.org: "Once offered a brand, you will need to check the protein level of the ration as it varies at the different stages of life. For an example, we will use the Mazuri line as a guide. Newly hatched chicks to 6 weeks of age are offered a Starter blend that is 30% protein; the grower is offered to birds 6 weeks to adults and is 19% protein; breeder diet is 20% and is offered a month before and through the breeding/laying season; the maintenance diet is provided to non breeding adult birds, protein is 12%."

I always supplement with what my aviary birds are eating as well - or should I say the quail help themselves!! Also had natural grains, greens, and various fruits & veggies. They are also fond of crickets and mealworms.

Dan

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I feed 20% feed all the way through their life. I might try switching to 16% layer but I like the 20% overall. And the 20% is just a regular chick starter feed. And I get all my feed from Tractor Supply!
    [​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i think any kind of feeds works.. i have used chick starter to normal adult chicken feed and game feed doesn't seem to matter ..lol

i do though add things to it like bird seed and grind up some cuttle bone once a week for them and give them some greens

and i just started giving them cat food once a week they love it [​IMG]

5. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is gonna sound dumb, so excuse my ignorance...cat food...dry or wet??

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:This is gonna sound dumb, so excuse my ignorance...cat food...dry or wet??

lol it's ok.. it's dry cat food you grind it up into pieces for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by