feeding quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephanie1992, Sep 7, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

what are u suppose to feed quail

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

UNmedicated Gamebird feed. hatch to 8 weeks: 28% protein . From 9 weeks on :slightly lower protein of around 20-22%
    they can have fresh greens,fruits,and vegetables as a supplement to their diets. And as special occasional treats they can be given mealworms and scrambled eggs .
    NO avacado, apple seeds,breads,human "junkfoods".

3. stephanie1992

ok thanks i shouldd probably get mine on that kind of feed, when i got her the feed store told me to feed lay mash, shes been eating that for a while now. im ganna switch to a healthyer feed

4. mhwc56

Quote:forgot to mention a couple things...along with the 20-22% protein feed ,add Finch seed. Generally a mix of 1/2 seed to 1/2 feed. AND be sure she always has access to ground oyster shell or cuttlebone for calcium .

5. stephanie1992

Quote:forgot to mention a couple things...along with the 20-22% protein feed ,add Finch seed. Generally a mix of 1/2 seed to 1/2 feed. AND be sure she always has access to ground oyster shell or cuttlebone for calcium .

ok thank u ill do that

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I was told from this forum Game Bird Starter 28 % start to finish. I feed 28% GBS crumbles & I'm not gonna change nope no way. My birds love it & their fat & happy.

7. mhwc56

Quote:GBS "from hatch to dispatch" as they say is good if you are raising them for meat . My understanding is that they live MUCH longer ( Unless they are sent of to freezer camp of course) if they get a lower (20-22%)protein after 8 weeks of age...with a diet as i described.
    This is the diet that a person who is VERY knowledgable and educated about quail has recommended to me for my Coturnix.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:GBS "from hatch to dispatch" as they say is good if you are raising them for meat . My understanding is that they live MUCH longer ( Unless they are sent of to freezer camp of course) if they get a lower (20-22%)protein after 8 weeks of age...with a diet as i described.
    This is the diet that a person who is VERY knowledgable and educated about quail has recommended to me for my Coturnix.

Dang it!! I wasn't told this now I gotta change. How much longer do they live? I really don't wanna get into mixing feed I got enough on my plate. My birds sure seem healthy & they are fat. They taste good to boot.

9. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    Randy, With all the FIRES here in texas most of the Quail are going to be DEEP FRYED

10. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just found out that Turkey starter is the closes I can get to Gamebird starter: Turkey Starter, 26% Protein

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by