feeding quail??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sniper338, Dec 23, 2013.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    My quail I got yesterday seem to not stop eating... im feeding purina layena crumbles.... they act like theyve been kept starved before I got them....

Once they have a full tummy I thought they would slow down on the feeder... but they are like bottomless pits!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do they appear to be in good flesh or are they skinny? Whatever the case, they will eventually even out in their feeding.

3. sumatra lover

sumatra lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Maryland
    My quail are the same. I think quail love to eat lol

4. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Mine look rough. Thats why im not too worried... I did figure out thats they are just attracted to something new in the pen... if I leave a feeder in there they will eat eat eat then stop amd start roosting... if I take it out... wait a minute and put it back in the cage.... its like they were starving... so im pretty sure they are just eating to eat....

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have raised Quail before but it has been more like a year when I eat the last one but anyway these guys are like a high speed racing car always using full but you might want to try a turkey grow it has 20% protein to help them grow .....

gander007 [​IMG]

6. sumatra lover

sumatra lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Maryland
    I have a flock raiser feed by purina that my turkey, chickens and quail eat and they do very well with it. Ohh and also quail loveeeee oranges!!:)

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My quail act like starving hogs too. When I go near their pen they start squawking, grunting and jumping up & down, even at night when it's pitch black I can hear them pecking in the feeder instead of sleeping like a chicken does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by