Feeding Question Concerning Pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Oct 29, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have 5 Pullets - 4 Doms and 1 RIR, each of which are akmost 3 months old. I was reading on the Chick Starter bag that it should be the sole diet for the birds. Is this true?

I have been giving them treats from time to time and was wondering if I should stop doing this or if it is alright to continue to give them treats sporadically during the week.

Thanks for the replies.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Giving them treats is fine. I think but don't know for a fact what the manufacturer means is to not feed any other commercial feed with that particular one. Just make sure that treats don't make up such a big part of their diet that they forego eating their chick starter.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I think at that age it would be okay to feed them treats now and then.
    I feed my 4 month old pullets treats.
    Yogurt is definitely a good treat for them because its a yummy pro-biotic :]
    You shouldn't put them on any feed like layer feed though until they are about 4-5 months old.
    They should "mostly" be eating chick starter to help them grow big and strong [​IMG].

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Thanks grit and foxy. It was recommended to me by a neighbor that I keep the pullets on Chick Starter until the reach 6 months which will be sometime in February. Should I wait until then or can the Laying Mash be giving before then?

5. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Its "safer" to wait till then.
    It can't hurt them to be on it longer.
    Its a personal choice.

Ive talked to my feed store about it and they said i could feed my pullets layer crumble once they are in the end of 4 months old to 5 months.
    I remember i had my polish roo on it when he was around 6 months old (i wasn't sure of his age at the time).

I feel its better for them to be on chick starter longer then start layer feed early.

I heard layer can cause some problems like egg binding early on, because the feed is suppose to make them lay, but if they are too young to laying, it may force their bodies to lay to early.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Layer feed does not make them lay. Does not make they lay early. Does not encourage laying.

It is the same feed as starter or grower or flock raiser. The only difference is the percentage of calcium that's added. A laying hen dumps an egg shell of calcium carbonate every time she lays. In order to do that, she is given calcium enriched feed, feed that has calcium carbonate (think shells) ground up and mixed into the feed.

A non laying pullet does not need all that enriched calcium.

Feed is feed. Corn, soybeans, minerals, etc. Layer feed has no magic to make a pullet lay whatsoever. It only provides them with the calcium they need, once they do start laying in earnest.

7. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Good to know...thanks foxy

8. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Fred's Hens :

Layer feed does not make them lay. Does not make they lay early. Does not encourage laying.

It is the same feed as starter or grower or flock raiser. The only difference is the percentage of calcium that's added. A laying hen dumps an egg shell of calcium carbonate every time she lays. In order to do that, she is given calcium enriched feed, feed that has calcium carbonate (think shells) ground up and mixed into the feed.

A non laying pullet does not need all that enriched calcium.

Feed is feed. Corn, soybeans, minerals, etc. Layer feed has no magic to make a pullet lay whatsoever. It only provides them with the calcium they need, once they do start laying in earnest.

Thanks for the information.
    I was just saying what my feed store told me when i asked about it.​

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Foxy,

Not a problem. You'll discover, I fear, as many others have, that "feed store guys" are sometimes the least informed guys on the planet. The posts here over the years have been absurd. There was even a thread awhile back, entitled, "Stupid Stuff My Feed Store Guy Said" or similar. Go figure.

10. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Fred's Hens :

Foxy,

Not a problem. You'll discover, I fear, as many others have, that "feed store guys" are sometimes the least informed guys on the planet. The posts here over the years have been absurd. There was even a thread awhile back, entitled, "Stupid Stuff My Feed Store Guy Said" or similar. Go figure.

Well atleast now i have less to worry about lol!
    I always thought, "oh no if i feed the pullets that to early, they could get egg bound![​IMG]"
    I remember i went into the store once to get something other then wazine to worm my chickens with and they tried to tell me that wazine gets rid of "all worms" and that i don't need anything else.
    When it clearly says on the bottle "only for round worms" ...go figure lol [​IMG]

Thank god for this forum! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by